After reading the article on Cell Phone usage in the classroom, my mind has not changed! Cell Phones should NOT be used in the class. Period. They are much too distracting and should not be used for learning. I have a few problems with using phones in the class: 1) They are way too distracting 2) They are rarely used for educational purposes 3) Aren't we trying to avoid having cell phones brought out during class?
In a perfect world, sure, phones would be awesome for the class! As the PRO side mentioned in the article, they are a versatile technological device; they can take pictures, record video, audio, etc... but we don't live in a perfect world! Cell phones used by teenagers are used to text message, sometimes actually speak on the phone, and to listen to music. To bring those things out in the classroom is like asking them to just put their headphones on and fall asleep! They will not be listening to the teacher, I can assure you of that.
Do you really think students would be able to have their phone out and use it solely for the purpose of learning? As the teacher, I would probably be tempted to text my friend if we had our cell phones out! I just can't see cell phones used as only a learning mode. Nope. Not gonna happen.
There will be no cell phones in my class! The first time it goes off, you get a warning. The second time, it is mine for the rest of the class. You have been warned...
We for sure do not live in the perfect world, so I agree with you that we should not have silly cells in the classroom.
ReplyDelete